Saina Nehwal: Bronze Medal Badminton Ladies

Saina Newal with her Bronze Medal at London 2012 Olympics

Saina Nehwal won India its third medal at the 2012 London Olympic Games, after being declared the winner in the women's badminton play-off for the bronze medal after her Chinese opponent Wang Xin withdrew with an injured knee. And the news became sweeter with boxer Devendro Singh's entry into the Men's Light Flyweight quarter-finals. Saina's opponent Wang, the World No. 2, won the first game despite the injury she suffered at the end of it. She won the first game 21-18, but before claiming the final point, she strained her knee. Wang received medical attention before claiming the game, but broke down soon into the second game – with the score 1-0 in her favour - before she hobbled off the court.

India’s Olympic bronze-medallist Saina Nehwal said on Tuesday that she desperately wanted to win a medal in London Olympics. Speaking to reporters after she received a rousing welcome at her hometown, Hyderabad, Saina said, “I am really happy to be back with a medal. It was a great dream; I actually did what I believed in…” With a reassuring smile on her lips, Saina said that she is really proud of what she has achieved and promised to keep the momentum going. “…I really wanted an Olympic medal. I hope the next four years would be better than the last four,” an optimistic Saina said, while also adding that she will learn from mistakes. On being asked whether she felt bad on having lost out on a lot of things so as to maintain her focus on badminton, Saina said, “Nothing is bigger than standing on the podium in Olympics.” Thanking her coach and mentor Gopchand for having played a critical role in her success, the world number 4 said, “He started training me when I was just 13. Many people told us that I can’t win big tournaments but in 2006 I won my first title beating world number 3….there have been a lot of sacrifice from my side, his side.” “I see people dying for it (Olympics medal), they want it badly…it is unbelievable!” she said. On his part, Gopi Chand said, “I tell her to look at 2020. There would be two more Olympics, more Asian Games, Commonwealth games, World Championships…the potential is huge but what she has already achieved is huge.”